Purpose of Job
Reporting to the Divisional Director, the General Manager has overall responsibility for ensuring that the operation is managed efficiently and professionally to meet the company requirements and that KPIs are continuously met and challenged.
- Delivery of Key Performance Indicators in accordance with business and contractual needs.
- Effective leadership and management of the operational team.
- Delivery of a safe, secure, clean and equitable working environment for all team members.
- Team building and morale management throughout entire site and operation.
- Select, train, motivate, appraise, develop and manage personnel to achieve total customer focus.
- Maximising operational performance, efficiency and space utilisation.
- Supporting our in-house and outsourced network of depots.
- Drive the continuous improvement culture and utilise the resources and skills in house.
- Ensure all customer requests and contract requirements are managed appropriately.
- Successful completion and achievement of set operational targets, coupled with implementation of techniques.
- Continuous monitoring and maintaining of entire workforce – people management, review of absenteeism levels, staff turnover, operational costs etc.
- Scheduling and managing the business, and rostering staff for the business peaks.
- Develop positive relationships with key stakeholders.
- Primary driver in the budgetary & commercial processes.
- Ensure compliance across all areas (Inventory, Security, Health & Safety and HR).
- Ensure first class customer service is always delivered and enable and motivate team members to ensure timely resolution and services to drive performance improvements.
- Regular audits of areas, procedures, working practices, and supporting the team.
Skills and competencies
- Minimum of 5 years relevant experience in a managerial role.
- Degree in Management or relevant business field would be advantageous.
- Exceptional people management and customer support skills with demonstrated experience of managing people in a fast paced, changing environment.
- Proven track record in problem solving and working under pressure.
- Proficiency in use of MS Office programmes, supply chain or inventory management applications.
- The ability to multitask and ensure targets are met and projects are carried out to high standard.
- Excellent communication, organisation and administration skills.
- Resilient, flexible and pro-active attitude with strong commercial awareness.
- Ability to introduce new ideas / initiatives.
- Understanding of health, safety and quality practices advantageous.
- Analytical background and ability to understand financial implications of decision making.
- Experience in driving best practice and process improvements.
- Flexibility required supporting business requirements.
DSV has a principal goal to improve quality, health, safety and environmental sustainability with our community. All employees must make an active effort to continue the momentum towards minimising work related injuries, illness and the possible impact on the environment. They are required to stay committed to provide the highest quality of work to colleagues and our clients in a timely manner and in accordance with the principles of our management system standards of work and approved working standards.
DSV is an equal opportunities employer